Sunday, March 4, 2012

Food in Spain

The thing that I have found most interesting about Spain (besides the language of course!) is the food.

Paella seems to be the most talked about dish when it comes to traditional food from Spain. It is saffron rice with pretty much any meat that you choose to put in it, tomatoes, and some vegetables. I read a few different sources about it and it seems that seafood, such as shrimp and clams, is the most popular addition to the rice.


Another interesting food... well.. drink.. that I read about is Spanish hot chocolate, or "chocolate caliente." It is commonly made for breakfast to dip churros in to and is EXTREMELY thick, so it is very different than what we consider hot chocolate to be in the United States. The recipe that I found is as follows:

  • 2 8-ounce (250 ml) cups whole milk
  • 3 ounces=3 squares (93 gr) baking chocolate
  • 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cornstarch



  • I'm assuming that it's pretty thick because of the cornstarch that is used! One source that I read said that it's so thick that you can stand a spoon up in it.

    -Jamie Smith



    2 comments: