Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tapas & Antonti Gaudí -- Jim Ford


Although I knew tapas was a part of the Spanish culture, I didn’t know that it was such a significant part of the life of students. Any of us who have been to Isabella’s in Frederick will know that tapas refers to dishes of food served in small portions – fish, olives, meats, cheese, etc. According to what I learned this week, students in Spain often gather at a tapas bar to eat, drink and socialize. From what I understand, Isabella’s offers DJ music on Saturdays, so a visit there would give patrons a chance to experience both the tapas and the dancing that are such significant aspects of Spanish culture. The picture is of some tapas dishes from a restaurant in New Orleans.)


I was also lucky enough to travel to Spain about 12 years ago. Although I didn't speak the language at the time, I learned from our tour guide that the citizens of Spain take great pride in the artwork of fellow Spaniards. While in Barcelona, our group was able to see some of the artwork and architecture of Antoni Gaudí. His style was unusual, but extremely creative. Of all the things we saw, I thought none was more impressive than the unfinished "La Sagrada Família" cathedral. The construction of the cathedral is funded solely by public donations, so it has been an ongoing project since 1883. Although it is still unfinished, it is a functional space (and quite beautiful) on the inside. To see this example of Spanish pride and creativity, visit the cathedral's site: http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/

3 comments:

  1. True, tapas are an integral part of the Spanish culture and a delicious way to socialize with friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Spain probably about 12 years ago as well, but I was in 3rd grade so I don't remember much except that Seville had pretty white buildings and the monkeys on the Rock of Gibraltar liked to play with my hair.

    To me it seems like tapas are almost the US equivalent to getting coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biggest part of Spain that interests me has to be their unique entertainment. One of these entertainments called, The Running of the Bulls, takes place in Pamplona, Spain. After watching some different YouTube videos about the event, it made me really want to take part in this diverse, cultural experience. The adrenaline rush it must be to have a stampede of raging bulls chasing you would be amazing.
    Another unique event in Spain is called La Tomatina. It is a festival that is held in the town of Buñol where the town’s occupants and others from all over come to take part in the fruit equivalent of a snowball fight. Here, an estimated 40 metric tons of tomatoes are dumped and the thousands of revelers mash them up and hurl them at one another. It originally started as a dispute between some youths, however it soon emerged as a tradition of the town and has since become widely known around the world. I know I would certainly love to take part in these interesting events that Spanish culture has to offer.

    ReplyDelete